If you love to sew, you owe it to yourself to get the best sewing machine available, and what’s better than a computerized sewing machine? These machines are not only much easier to use, but they can do some amazing things with the touch of a few buttons.
The Bernette 38 Swiss Design computerized sewing machine has all of the bells and whistles you’re looking for when you want a machine that “does it all.”
The B38 is part of the Bernette 30 series, which has proven to be extremely popular with sewers of all levels. It has tons of features that enable you to be as creative as you want to be, and it costs a lot less than you think.
Bernette 38: the Basics
To say that the Bernette B38 sewing machine is versatile is an understatement. Indeed, this machine can handle all sorts of stitches, speeds, and materials, from basic sewing projects to more complicated arts and crafts projects. Whether you want to upgrade to a better machine or simply want to start out with a top-notch sewing machine, the Bernette B38 is for you.
Of all the sewing machines in the Bernette 30 series, the Bernette 38 is definitely at the top. For starters, it offers a total of 394 different stitches, which includes a special stretch stitch that you can use for elastic fabrics.
When the Bernette sewing machines first came on the scene, the brand was considered the “sister” of the Bernina brand, which is a high-end line of sewing machines. The main difference between the two brands is the price. Bernette machines are simply much less expensive than Bernina machines are.
Does this mean they are cheap? Not necessarily. In fact, while some machines included in the Bernette 30 series cost around $300 or less, the 38 model is closer to the $550 to $600 range.
Nevertheless, this is a fully computerized and very sturdy sewing machine that is capable of helping you create a lot of masterpieces. It will even work on both difficult fabrics, such as denim and leather, and very delicate fabrics of all kinds.
Even better, the Bernette 38 sewing machine will grow with you as you become a better sewer. This means it can accommodate beginners all the way up to the most-advanced sewer.
What Are Some of the Bernette 38 Main Features?
If you’re curious about what makes the Bernette 38 Swiss design computerized sewing machine so unique, here are just a few of its features that will convince you this is the machine you need:
- It is a very easy-to-use machine that even beginners can use with ease.
- It is relatively quiet.
- It has a very sleek, modern design that you’ll love.
- It enables you to make clothes, arts and crafts items, household items, and even upholstery.
- It is lightweight at just under 22 pounds.
- It has an LED touchscreen that looks great and works great.
- It accommodates up to 820 stitches per minute.
Another feature the Bernette 38 offers is an automatic thread-cutter, which saves you lots of time as you’re sewing. In fact, automatic thread-cutters can be true life-savers when you have a lot of projects to complete or you tend to stay busy at your sewing machine on a regular basis.
The machine also has adjustable speeds that you can change from one speed to another in no time. This is a huge help when you have to use a slow speed every time you’re working with delicate fabrics. After all, changing speeds shouldn’t be time-consuming, and the Bernette 38 makes the process fast every time.
Not only do you get nearly 400 different stitches, but they include a total of 67 decorative stitches and eight buttonhole stitches. The machine allows you to store all different stitch combinations so that you can use them again later, and you even get a total of three alphabets so that you’re not using the same design every time.
This being said, you should also be aware that this machine does not do embroidery stitches. However, it does allow you to do some fancy things with the stitches it does have available.
The longer you work with this machine, the more you’ll appreciate its many features, and it’s good to know that it can accommodate sewers with all experience levels.
What Does the B38 Sewing Machine Come with?
The Bernette 38 sewing machine comes with a variety of accessories, which means you will likely feel that the money you spent on it is well worth it. The accessories the machine comes with include the following:
- Eight presser feet, including blind stitch, overlock, zigzag, button sew-on, and others
- Four bobbins
- Second spool pin
- Extension table
- Numerous needles
- Lint brush
- Spool net
- Seam ripper
- Two spool discs
- Hard cover to protect the machine when it’s stored
- Comprehensive, easy-to-understand user manual
Since the Bernette 38 computerized sewing machine comes with so many accessories, you can begin using it immediately after taking it out of the box. You won’t have to rush out and buy a lot of expensive accessories to start sewing with it. As long as you have some fabric and a few spools of thread at home, you’re all set to go.
What Are the Pros and Cons of This Sewing Machine?
Just like any other product on the market, the Bernette 38 sewing machine has pros and cons. One of the things you’ll want to do when researching a sewing machine is look at reviews from real-life customers. The thing is, regardless of how great a sewing machine is, it’s always going to have some negative remarks.
The point is to find a sewing machine that has mostly positive reviews. If you do this, you can rest assured that it’s an excellent machine that you’re likely to love.
The Bernette 38 computerized sewing machine has a rating of 4.3 stars out of a possible 5 stars on sites such as Amazon, with a full 86% of all reviewers giving it either 4 or 5 stars. This is amazing when you consider how many people have purchased this sewing machine from around the world.
What are some of the many customers saying about this amazing sewing machine? Here are a few of their comments:
- High-end machine at an affordable price.
- … do recommend if you’re looking for a good machine at a value price.
- I had a very small learning curve.
- I am loving the versatility of this sewing machine.
- The best Christmas gift I’ve gotten!
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of the Bernette 38 sewing machine in more detail.
- Very minimal noise
- Super easy to use, making it perfect for beginning sewers
- Warranty of 10 years against defective materials and two years on electrical parts
- Automatic thread-cutter
- Easy speed control
- Not made for business/commercial use
- No embroidery functions
One of the things you’ll want to watch for is where you buy the machine from. Some of the negative reviews you find on this product have to do with issues related to buying the machine from an unknown dealer or vendor.
If you’re going to purchase the Bernette 38 sewing machine, make sure you purchase it from a reputable company. So, you should not only research the machine itself, but also the company that’s trying to sell the product to you.
Presser Feet Options
The Bernette 38 computerized sewing machine comes with lots of presser feet, and below are some of the most-important ones:
- Open embroidery foot. Makes appliques and other projects much easier. The foot has an open shape that lets you view the seam clearly, making it perfect for sewing ribbons and tapes.
- Zipper foot. This foot has a narrow shape that lets you feed the fabric evenly and allows you to sew zippers like a pro.
- Embroidery foot with clear sole. This is a transparent foot that lets you execute satin and decorative stitches with ease.
- Blindstitch foot. For topstitch edges or blind hems, this is the foot you want. It enables the stitches to pierce the hem only and, therefore, the stitch holes are practically invisible when you’re looking at the right side of the fabric.
- Buttonhole foot. Complete with a slide, this foot allows you to sew a variety of buttonholes and allows all buttonholes to be the same length.
- Overlock foot. Great for executing perfect finished edges and seams, it allows you to work with knits and create very fancy seams and cuffs.
If you want a top-notch computerized sewing machine that allows you to do some amazing things, the Bernette 38 Swiss design computerized sewing machine is definitely one to consider. It has a very attractive design with an easy-to-see display and is so easy to use that you’ll feel like a pro from the very beginning.
Best of all, this is a machine that grows with you and can accommodate you whether you’re a beginner, an advanced sewer, or anything in between. It is a sewing machine you’ll love for many years to come, and you can purchase it without breaking the bank.